Dear Oak Bluffs Residents and Home Business Owners:
Below you will find important information regarding the regulation of home businesses in Oak Bluffs.
The existing by-law recognizes that some small home-based businesses function well in residential neighborhoods. Others have expanded beyond what is tolerable for their neighbors: noise, traffic, on-site storage of and emissions from large vehicles, and on-street parking have negatively impacted some neighborhoods.
All home businesses operating in residential areas must be registered with the Town Building Office.
Effective immediately, this office will conduct an annual registration of all home businesses in order to better manage their effects on the health, safety and quiet enjoyment of the public. The fee for this registration is $50.00
Changes in process and procedures are about to be implemented that may affect you or your neighbor:
We have established an open period of 90 days during which any business in violation of the by-laws can come forward to bring the operation into conformance without penalty. After June 30, 2006, monetary fines will be imposed against any home business operating outside the current by-law.
Please see the reverse side of this letter which describes the two home business classifications currently in effect: that allowed as of “right”, and that which can only operate by “special permit”.
Should you have questions about the By-Law, its application, or applicability, or wish to obtain information about the application and filing fee, go online to www.ci.oak-bluffs.ma.us or stop by the Building Office Department weekdays between 8:30am and 4:00pm.
Building Inspector and Zoning Official
HOME BUSINESS ALLOWED BY RIGHT
I. Does not store externally any materials, supplies or equipment.
2. Does not park overnight more than 2 commercial vehicles weighing less than 15K GVW.
3. Is conducted solely within the residence by the homeowner.
4. Is clearly secondary to the residential use of the premises.
5. Does not produce any kind of offensive noise, vibration, dust, odors, heat, lighting or any other forms of environmental pollution
6. Does not promote its presence or varies the home’s appearance from that of the neighborhood.
7. Does not produce daily or frequent traffic to the residence caused by customers, pupils or clientele or package delivery.
3. Has no nonresident employees.
9. Be registered as a business with the Town Clerk
HOME BUSINESS ALLOWED BY SPECIAL PERMIT
1. Requires storage of related materials, supplies or equipment on land less
than 2 acres.
2. Operates and/or parks overnight more than 2 commercial vehicles weighing less than 15K GVW.
3. Operates and/or parks overnight up to 2 commercial vehicles weighing between 15 and 26 thousand pounds GVW.
4. Is clearly secondary to the residential use of premises.
5. Does not produce any kind of offensive noise, vibration, dust, odors, heat, lighting or any other forms of environmental pollution.
6. Employs up to 3 nonresident employees
7. Requires periodic traffic to accommodate customers, pupils or clientele or package delivery.
8. Requires off street parking up to 5 spaces.
9. Has up to 1 permitted sign.
10, Produces on premises all principal retail, wholesale and rental items only. -